Saturday, April 19, 2014

10 Games in 3 Months: Wrapping Up

This is it! We've done it. We finished our project 10 Games in 3 Months ...


... in 7 Months :)

In all fairness we really did spent exactly 10 weeks developing 10 games, one week per game. The rest of the time other personal and professional demands insisted on their priority. The project was incredibly interesting and educational. I mean I can say now that I've made 10 games. Cool.

I want to summarize some of my learnings from the project:

  • It's not hard making games, even the complicated looking ones, and a lot of fun.
  • The actual complexity of making a game is very different from the perceived complexity. You won't know the actual complexity until you try to at least make a prototype. For example, a platformer turned out to be much harder than I thought, while a tower defense turned out to be simpler.
  • A good well motivated team of two partners can be more effective then a team of eight employees. And for me it's a lot more fun making games myself then managing a game studio.
  • There is a lot of room in the market for great games. The vast majority of mobile games are crap, even among top ones. I have installed hundreds, but only a handful are great.
  • With experience, game design turns from Voodoo to problem solving.
  • A game engine saves so much time. My leverage using one is at least tenfold. Both Corona SDK and Unity3D are excellent value.
  • Luck and talent are overrated. It's easy to pick up game coding, game art and game design. While mastery will take years, many simple and fun games can be made by beginners.

No comments:

Post a Comment