Monday, April 7, 2014

Game #9: "Run" released

It’s been 4 months since my last post. A long time… We had to pause the project for family reasons. A week ago we got back into it, and I have game #9 to show! But first, whatever happened to game #8?

Well, we invested two weeks into that isometric farm game, and had almost nothing to show for it, all the work was on the infrastructure level. I got the isometric camera done with zoom, scrolling, panning, as well as the shop and the factory UI a la Hay Day. That’s it. That was two weeks. Crazy slow. On the art side, Liza drew some very nice isometric tiles and buildings.



Moving on, we have long planned to try making one 3D game. Corona SDK isn’t good for 3D. So a couple of weeks ago I installed Unity 3D, watched a few official tutorials (they are awesome), and last week we kicked off Game #9, an infinite runner a la Boson X (my favorite infinite runner). Today Game #9 is done and you can play it in the browser or watch the video:


As usual I am putting the game into open source. It uses a few assets from Unity standard assets and sample assets.

So how does Corona SDK compare to Unity 3D? I like both a lot, and I have bought the Pro subscription to Corona for $600 a while back. That said, I think it’s really no contest for my purpose of rapidly developing a variety of games in a tiny team. It's all about leverage:

  • Both platforms publish for mobile devices. Unity in addition publishes for the browser, standalone (Mac, Windows, Linux), as well as several consoles.
  • Corona uses scripting language Lua which is fine for small projects but I found it cumbersome for anything larger. Unity uses C# which is a full featured OOP language.
  • Unity has an amazing GUI that makes development much faster.
  • Unity has many essential primitives build in, like camera, lights and shadows. This saves a lot of time.
  • Unity has a better developed ecosystem with tons of cheap extensions through their Asset Store. This saves a lot of time.
  • Unity can do 3D or 2D games. Corona only 2D games.

Again, I really like Corona, but in Unity I can develop games much faster, and spend less time with the code and more with the game design.

Just like I with code, Liza had a crash course in 3D art. A week ago she installed Blender and jumped into tutorials on sculpting, rigging, skinning, animating. The creature in the game is fully her creation. Here it is from the front:


Working in 3D is fun! For example, we didn't make the run and jump animations you see in the game. These came with sample assets from Unity. Turns out in 3D, animations are created for skeletons. So once a character is set up with a humanoid skeleton, any humanoid animation can be applied immediately. Wow. Or checkout Mixamo, - thousands of models, thousands of animations. I feel like a kid in a candy shop :)

No comments:

Post a Comment